DESIGN KONCEPT VEGETATION AND STORMWATER
Södra Kungsvägen is one of the main road connections on the island Lidingö. A 2,2 km long section of the road, including 10 intersections has been analysed in this project.
The overriding aim of the project was to make the road section more attractive out of a driver’s perspective, through vegetation design along the roadsides. Another aim was to identify cost effective solutions for stormwater management, preferably combined with added vegetation.
Due to budgetary constraints, rebuilding parts of the road or changing road equipment like lighting poles or road fences was not possible.
The design proposal:
- Identifies accessible surfaces for new vegetation structures.
- Identifies cost effective solutions for stormwater management, partly combined with new vegetation structures.
- Suggests type of vegetation/species to create seasonal effects throughout the year. (Bulbs, flowering trees, leaf texture and leaf colour).
- Suggests added vegetation volumes that create a more human scale along some sections of the road.
- Includes traffic safety analyse of design additions
Parallel to the analyse of Södra Kungsvägen, a design proposition for a noise barrier along a nearby road, Gåshagaleden, was developed. The design proposal describes type of construction and colour choise, represented in plan, section and 3d-views.